Decorating & Furniture/can I have stain and paint together

Question
We are in the process of building a new home and will have dark oak flooring throughout.  Can I stain woodwork around windows and still use white wooden plantation shutters or is that a no-no? Also,can I stain baseboards and crown moulding or should I paint?  What are the do's and don'ts in combining stain and paint?  Thanks,Judy

Answer
Hi Judy,
I'm going to be perfectly blunt.  Stained woodwork, unless the house design warrants it, such as arts and crafts, is outdated.  I would not combine stained woodwork and white plantation shutters.  I would do them all the same woodtone stain.  I would recommend painting the crown molding and woodwork, you will have much more versatility when it comes to painting the walls.  

Kim Boyer
www.kimberlyboyerinteriors.com

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer