Decorating & Furniture/can I have stain and paint together

We are in the process of building a new home and will have dark oak flooring throughout.  Can I stain woodwork around windows and still use white wooden plantation shutters or is that a no-no? Also,can I stain baseboards and crown moulding or should I paint?  What are the do's and don'ts in combining stain and paint?  Thanks,Judy

Hi Judy,
I'm going to be perfectly blunt.  Stained woodwork, unless the house design warrants it, such as arts and crafts, is outdated.  I would not combine stained woodwork and white plantation shutters.  I would do them all the same woodtone stain.  I would recommend painting the crown molding and woodwork, you will have much more versatility when it comes to painting the walls.  

Kim Boyer

Decorating & Furniture

Kim Boyer

I am a Certified Interior Designer, Redesign and Home Staging Professional as well as a Certified Color expert. Therefore I am can assist with questions regarding space planning and furniture arrangement, color selection, art and accessory placement. I am also able to answer questions regarding the selection and sourcing of furniture and flooring materials as well as custom window treatments.

I started in the industry as a design consultant in the custom window treatment and home furnishings industry. I have gone on to establish my own full service interior decorating business, Kimberly Boyer Interiors, with specialities in redesign, home staging and color consultations. I was also a featured designer on MyHome2.0 a Verizon Fios sponsered Home Technology Makeover Show.

Affiliate Member Interior Design Society The SDP, ODDAA, ABWA, Interior Redesign Directory

Publications website Ask the Interior Designer

Certified Interior Designer Temple University. Certified Redesign and Staging Professional, Society of Decorating Professionals Certified Color Specialist, Society of Decorating Professionals