Decorating & Furniture/trim color

In a post of your's I read that trim color throughout the house should be consistent.  When I moved into my home, I assumed the same thing and did white throughout.  Now I realize I should have gone with a softer shade of white, as most of my colors are warm or earthtones.  I'm just now doing my dining room; should I stick with the white for consistency's sake or do what works for the room.  The house is a center hall colonial, and the front hall has yet to be painted.  However, the family room and kitchen (both adjacent to the dining room) and the formal living room (opposite the dining room across the front hall) are done with white trim.

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Lisa,

You know there's no hard, fast rule about trim color other than consistency from room to room.  Many people opt to change it up, and that's certainly fine if you wish to do so.  Even a slight deviation in color will not upset the flow.  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology