Decorating & Furniture/wall color for adjoining living/dining rooms

Question
living/dining room
living/dining room  
Hi Jenny,

My house has an open floor plan. I have a great room/kitchen that I painted green (guacamole). my kitchen adjoins to the dining room (with a 3 feet wide opening) which adjoins to the living room (with a 5 feet wide opening). I've chosen a warm terra cotta color on my formal dining room. I'm not sure if I should just do the same color for the living room. I was planning a peanut butter color on the living room. But since I have open space, I'm not sure how many different colors I can use in the house. I still have a hallway/foyer to paint which I plan to use a yellow/warm gold color. What would you suggest? I love the terra cotta color. By the way, the living room is the first room when you enter the house. I've attached a picture.

Answer
Cindy,

First of all let me thank you for being bold and using color to enhance your home.  So many people have fear of using color and it's a real shame that they're missing out on such an inexpensive yet impactful way of decorating.

For the living area, I'd probably opt to either paint it the same warm terra cotta as the formal dining room, OR, I'd move a couple of shades (one way or the other -- up or down) on the paint swatch for the living room.  That will create a subtle yet beautiful delineation between the two spaces.  Adding the warm gold to the hallway is an excellent choice as well.  

You're doing an excellent job color sculpting your home.  I'm confident it will be beautiful.

Jenny  

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik