Decorating & Furniture/Color, Color and Color?

Question
Plan
Plan  
I am moving into this small new apartment. It has wooden floor(just between light and dark), all the walls and furniture are white. There are also a double-seats sofa and a small dining table in the living room (missing in the diagram).
For the very long hallway, I am planning to put some artworks(warm in color) on the longer side of the wall and horizontal stripe of mirror on the shorter.

Will that be a good idea?

I am also planning to put a long runner in the hallway and a big rug in the living room.

What color of rug should I use?

Do you reckon I should paint the hallway and the living room? What colors should I paint to fit all the white furniture?

Sorry for the very very long question. It's my first home, just want to make everything the best. Thank you very much

Answer
Hello Edmund,

I apologize for the delay in getting back to you! That is one long hallway you've got, and I love your creative way of dealing with it! You want to establish a little rhythm along the hallway - an the art, hung in regular intervals, will help to do that. Keep the size of the smaller size so it won't seem visually overwhelming - remember you will be standing/walking rather close to it.

The mirror is clever idea, though I would me more likely to hang a single, larger mirror, than a stripe of mirror.

The runner is nice idea, but two smaller rugs would help to break up the space.

As to color, you mentioned the artwork would have warmer colors in them - I would suggest, using a warm neutral taupe on the walls in the entire space, and then use a punch of color in pillows and throws for the all white furniture. So, for example, if the art had a warm red tone in it, i would pick that up in some accessories. In a small space, it's important to make the whole space flow.

Good luck!

Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES