Decorating & Furniture/Color scheme

Question
I need some desperate help. We just bought a new home. The family room, which is off the kitchen, has dark navy/slate blue rug and light cappiccino walls. I love the color combo and don't want to change it. I am purchasing all new furniture (sofas/tables/lamps/accessories) for this room but I am at a TOTAL loss of what colors to do. I want something warm and inviting b/c it is a family room but I don't want all blah browns~I need some color. In my mind I see an overstuffed red couch or an overstuffed baby blue couch(Cindy Crawford line) but my husband doesn't think it'll match...can you give me some ideas on purchasing new furniture..what color for the sofa, what color should the wood furniture be, what accents should I add??? The trim is all a medium oak and the kitchen follows the same oak, cappiccino and navy color scheme.
Thanks so much!!!

Answer
Hi Niccki,
         Your husband is only partially wrong :). The red will look wonderful in your family room. As for furniture woods, continue the oak of the kitchen and trim. You could also look at red orange and orange accessories along with orange-golds.
         Hope this helps, and good luck :)
      Norah

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker