Decorating & Furniture/De-masculinizing big screen tv :)

Hi Elizabeth, I just purchased a used big screen tv. It's black, so I want to soften the look, or feminize it a little. It's one of those tv's that just stand on the floor, so there's no entertainment centre. (I absolutely love the tv :) and it was a great deal.) I am on a tight budget, but I could probably manage to spend a little bit of money, or maybe buy something used. The wall behind it is completely bare right now. I was thinking of putting a mirror there, or my wedding photo (just married a few months, don't have photos printed yet). There is some room on top of the tv, but I don't want it to look cluttered. I think floor plants are out of the question because my cats will chew them up. ;)  Any ideas? If you need to know anymore details, just let me know. Thanks!

Hi Melissa -

Thanks for the question! And it's a tough one. It's very difficult to feminize that type of electronic. Often, placing delicate things around it just make it look more massive.

Instead, I would suggest emphasizing another focal point in the room. A fireplace? A great view? If that's not possible, think about placing artwork along the sides. A pair of chunky floating shelves roughly the same width as the TV hung above it holding books will approximate a built in look. That won't make it look feminine, but it will blend it in a bit.

Best of luck, and enjoy watching your new TV!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.