Decorating & Furniture/Dining Room

Hello there,

I have got a beech wood dining room set.  I need to know what colours work best to make the room cosier and tone down the orange in the wood.

Hope you can help.

Hi Nikki -

Thanks for the question! I would go with some cooler colors to tone down the wood - Blues and green, which you could pair with a warmer brown to tie things together. Avoid strong reds and yellows as they will reinforce the orange.

Best of luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.