Decorating & Furniture/Interior Decorating

I just purchased a home and it has dark brown floors, off white walls. It seems a little dark to me so I was wondering how I could bring some life into the house once I move in and put my furniture in the house.
My furniture is all dark blue and my tables are cherry wood.
Do you have any ideas on how to brighten up my living room without having to replace flooring or furniture? Thank you for your time and assistance.

Hi Ryan,
       May I assume that your room faces north or west? An east orientation will give morning light a south orientation will give ample light during the day.
        What I would suggest is a large area rug, either a creamy white shag or an Oriental design with a white background. You could also brighten it up with ample lighting such as recessed downlights, wall sconces, and table lamps with light coloured bases and white shades. I hope this helps, and good luck :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002