Decorating & Furniture/Interior Paint Color to Compliment my Furniture

I'm trying to figure out what color to paint my living/dining room.  I have hazelnut colored living room furniture and mocha colored dining room chairs.  Dining room table is round glass with brown wood and coffee/end tables are glass with brown wood also.   The living and dining room flow into each other (no wall).  The sliding glass doors to the deck are covered with white vertical blinds.  What colors can I choose from for wall paint?  Please help - thank you.

Hi Lynn,

Thanks for writing and for your questions.  There is no single answer for color, but let me give you some suggestions in terms of warm versus cool colors that would work with your furnishings.  

My guess is that you prefer warmer tones over cooler ones, and if that's true, you could use a beautiful soft golden tone for the walls.  All yellows and all reds are also warm tones, and those reds range from red red to pink to nutmeg.  In your case, the nutmeg would be too much "same" as your hazelnut furniture and would not necessarily enhance the space.  An orange shade would work well in a medium tone, if you like orange.  If you think in terms of autumnal colors, these would tend to warm up the space.  

Cooler shades like pale icy blue, pale lavendar, celery or sage green would be equally beautiful as a backdrop for your furniture.  These cool colors work especially well with browns.  Hues of blue - from sky to aqua are a natural with browns, as are pale to medium shades of green.  

Bottom line Lynn, pick your favorite color and use it happily and successfully in your home.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology