Decorating & Furniture/Living Room & Dining Room furniture / accessories to match sand colored walls

Hi Elizabeth:

I recently moved into a 2BR apartment in which the living room and dining room open into each other and both are painted a sand color (the exact color is Behr Sandpoint 270E-2). I need to furnish both rooms completely and I'm wondering what colors I should consider for the couches, coffee/end tables, dining room table, etc.

What do you think?  Any help at all would be really appreciated!!!

Hi Joel,

It sounds like you've got a great neutral background start with! The keys things to keep in mind are to keep the styles of furniture fairly consistent. So, I wouldn't pair a super-traditional dining room with a super modern living room.

With your big pieces - sofas, dining room chairs - I prefer to stay neutral. Then bring in color with art and accessories. To keep the space looking fresh, resist the urge to go to furniture store and buy as all matched set from the showroom - a room should look collected over time.

Take a look around the web before you go out and shop - see what appeals to you. Do you prefer clean lines, or cozy, over-stuffed furniture? Pieces with a worn look, or a high gloss modern look? What colors appeal to you?

Measure your space - figure out where you think things might go - then measure again. The goal is to head out with a list of pieces you need - with a style, size and color family in mind. Make sure you bring a tape measure with you! Then start with the basics - your sofa, an end table, a lamp - and your dining table and chairs - if that's critical.

Next trip, look for a rug that picks up the color of the sofa, and introduces other colors you'll want to pick up in your art work and accesories. Look for accent chairs for the living room.

You can go in any color direction you want - but it's important to do a little research before you shop so that you know what you like.

Good luck!!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.