Decorating & Furniture/Living room furniture

Question
Dear Elizabeth

I just purchased a rosewood dining set second hand at a cheap price thinking
that I paint it white to modernize it. ( obviously too much TV )   Then the
wood grew on me and after a rosewood furniture store owner who is 5th
generation in this business told me the set I have is Thai rosewood which is
not in production anymore, I decided to enjoy the set as it is with the
beautiful wood pattern and stain color.
So now I decided to paint the color swiss coffee 1812 with some advice of a
color consultant at Home Depot.   I actually like casual, modern, inviting,
warm decorations.   I love things with value and elegant too.   Now I need to
find a set of living room furniture because the dining room and living room is
connected to each other.   I love the elegance of wood but I don't like too
traditional design.   I prefer living room furniture to be able to sit more
upright for easier conversation.   

I live in Vancouver.   What kind of living room set should I look for?    Is there
a name I can google to see the style?   I am lost since there are so many
choices.

Thanks

Harvey

Answer
Hello Harvey,

Thanks for the question.

The rosewood set sounds really different! It sounds like you have very eclectic tastes, which is great.

I would look for a traditional styled sofa - a "tuxedo" style - for example, with a little texture in a color complementary to the wall color you've chosen and the tone of the dining set. You don't want to go too modern with the living room furniture, but you do want a clean line to play of the dining set. Don't be afraid to mix it up - don't think "set" with the living room furniture - get a sofa, and a complementary chair. Try end and coffee tables that don't "match" but complement each other. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Would a garden urn with a tray work as a side table? Be creative. That's the essence of an eclectic look - finding things you love and making them work in your space - you've already taken the first step with the rosewood dining set!

Good luck!!

Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES