Decorating & Furniture/Molding / Trim / Room Colors

I just bought a house recently (A tudor-style built in the 1970's). The whole house has dark walnut-stained floor molding and door and window casings. The rooms also typically have nice white crown molding. Overall, I think the general colors are nice and gives it an English old-world feel to me. I am going to repaint walls in various rooms and have painted the dining room recently with a "Mesa" (dark camel-hair type color) and Light Yellow. There is also a Chair Rail in the dining room and I am curious if the different colors of the crown molding/chair rail and that of the floor molding/door casing is something that would make a designer cringe? I don't think it looks bad, and I would hate to paint over the nice wooden casings. I'm just looking for some guidelines or thoughts. Thanks!

Hi John,
You made me smile when you said "make a designer cringe."  
The only thing that made me cringe was the thought of painting beautiful wood.  It's a personal choice, but I always prefer wood in it's natural state (stained) rather than painted.
My vote is to leave the wooden casings as is.
I'm guessing you will like it better too.
Thanks for writing and the house sound beautiful with all the dark walnut throughout.
Take Care,

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory