Decorating & Furniture/Molding / Trim / Room Colors

Question
I just bought a house recently (A tudor-style built in the 1970's). The whole house has dark walnut-stained floor molding and door and window casings. The rooms also typically have nice white crown molding. Overall, I think the general colors are nice and gives it an English old-world feel to me. I am going to repaint walls in various rooms and have painted the dining room recently with a "Mesa" (dark camel-hair type color) and Light Yellow. There is also a Chair Rail in the dining room and I am curious if the different colors of the crown molding/chair rail and that of the floor molding/door casing is something that would make a designer cringe? I don't think it looks bad, and I would hate to paint over the nice wooden casings. I'm just looking for some guidelines or thoughts. Thanks!

Answer
Hi John,
You made me smile when you said "make a designer cringe."  
The only thing that made me cringe was the thought of painting beautiful wood.  It's a personal choice, but I always prefer wood in it's natural state (stained) rather than painted.
My vote is to leave the wooden casings as is.
I'm guessing you will like it better too.
Thanks for writing and the house sound beautiful with all the dark walnut throughout.
Take Care,
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner