Decorating & Furniture/Open Space above Kitchen Cabinets

Open Kitchen/Living/Dining
Open Kitchen/Living/Di  
I have an open kitchen/living/dining area with high ceilings.  I'm unsure of what to do with the open space above the kitchen cabinets.  Everything I've seen in other similar type kitchens looks tacky.  Is it best to just leave the space empty?  What are your suggestions?  Tall plants?  Art work?  Decorative items? I'm at a loss here...

Personally Jona, I'd leave it as is, but I take a more minimalist approach to kitchens.  If you opt to use something there, I'd opt for some rich color.  If you don't want to paint above the cabinets, but want something, I'd opt for decorative items (and odd number) that relate to something you love.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology