Decorating & Furniture/Paint color

I've just moved to a new apartment. The living room and dining area are 1 open space and currently the room looks very empty. My couches are dark brown leather and my dining table and chairs are black. What color should I paint the walls? I want something to make the place look smaller and cozy. Can I paint 2 walls in different colors or should i stick to 1?

Hi Rasha,
       Please forgive me for not answering you sooner. It's a holiday here in Canada and I sent your message to my other computer but didn't have a chance to answer.
         In order to make your room appear smaller you need a dark, warm colour. This will advance the wall psychologically closing it in. I think black and tan look very nice together and will also tie in with the brown. Another colour that would look very nice is a deep ginger. Take a look at CIL/ICI Palm Springs tan 20YY 39/130 and gingerglow 10YY 42/460. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002