Decorating & Furniture/Painting bedroom

My husband and I just purchased solid mahgony antique replica bedroom furniture.  We are not sure what colors to paint and what kind of carpeting to purchase.  We are somewhat on the daring side, we are not afraid of bold colors.  I thought may-be something in the red family ut I am not sure if that will clash with the furniture.  I would really like some advice and I thank-you in advance.

Hi Janet,

Glad to hear you're bold, and happier to hear you like reds.  Most any of the reds will work with your mahogany furniture (except pink).  You may want to consider a Chinese red, a red orange or even a nutmeg (brownish red).  These deeper shades of red will require two coats unless you use a tinted primer, but it will be well worth the effort when you see the beautiful results.  

Add some golden highlights to the room in terms of bed linens or trims.  It will be beautiful.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology