Decorating & Furniture/Rug for living room

Question
I want to get a rug for my living room, but cannot spend too much, and rugs are pretty expensive. I am fairly crafty, so I was wondering if there is some way to make a rug? It doesn't have to be the same material rugs are usually made of. I have absolutely no ideas. (Or do you have a suggestion on something else that I could use as a rug, that is not intended to be a rug?)

Answer
One of the design on the cheap ways to get a big rug is to purchase several small ones and stitch them together.  Another good source for "material" is home improvement stores that are ending one line of carpet samples and putting in new ones.

If materials don't concern you, you can certainly use fabrics, but they must be backed with non-slip strips for safety.

Lastly, my grandmother used to braid strips of cloth then stitch them together in an oval to make what she called a "rag" rug.  They were durable, beautiful and as unique as she was.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik