Decorating & Furniture/SKY BLUE AND LOST

I purchased a contemporary sky blue 3-piece living room set yesterday and although I am very excited about my selection, I am lost as to what to accent the pieces with. What would be great colors to add to this room and not be too bright with it?

Hello Martishia,

Sounds like you've made a great choice! Blue is a very popular color right now - so you'll have no trouble finding accessories. It all really depends on the look you're trying to achieve. To reinforce that contemporary vibe, go with rich chocolate browns and deep teals. If you'd like a more punchy color scheme - you might try burnt oranges. I could also see a fresh spring green and textured neutrals.

Take a stroll around your favorite mass market places - Target, Macy's - whatever is near you - you'll find yourself with tons of options. Choose the one that speaks to you the most!

Good luck!!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.