Decorating & Furniture/TV Placement

We are about to build a house and woefully, I find myself trying to plan rooms around televisions!  Our plan is open with lots of windows and not many walls.  I don't mind putting a TV over a fireplace in one room but not two.  Any great ideas?

Congratulations on your new house! And thanks for the question.

You can put the television in a variety of items, including armoires and bookshelves - particularly with flat screen technology.

There are also pieces for flat screens that have "lifts" installed. The TV remains hidden, and then, at the touch of a button, raises for viewing. That's another option.

As you design your house, try to keep in mind how your needs might evolve over time - what you think is a must have now, could change in a few years - especially if you have small children! Try to design options that can serve a few purposes - not just accommodating TV's.

Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.