Decorating & Furniture/Trim Color

Question
I have a small bathroom. We have recently in installed a dark floor tile. The tile is multi-colored with hints of rust, tan and green in a dark grey base. It looks like some type of oxidized surface. I found a shower curtain that picks up the green and tan colors in the tile. Most of the bathroom walls(up to 5 feet) are covered in an almond colored tile. I am planning on painting the limited wall space a tan color over-painted with an iridescent golden-brown glaze to match the color in the shower curtain. Should I paint the doors and trim(fairly wide, it's an old house) almond color to match the tile or can I paint the doors and trim with a green (not iridescent) semi-gloss paint that picks up the color in both the tile and shower curtain? The tan and the green will be of equal tone, neither darker or lighter, simply a different color. I know that generally you paint trim lighter than the wall color or in similar shades. Does it ever work using contrasting colors?

Thank you,

Denise Arneson

Answer
The simple answer is that "most" trims and door facings are left white or off-white like the rest of the rooms.  You can certainly paint or stain to your heart's content because it's your space.  If you use a contrast color, it should be lighter not darker, but it sounds as though you prefer matching to contrasting from your selections.  

Dark trim boxes in a space, and your eye goes to that.  That's why houses with dark trim around windows/shutters etc. look odd.

So - if you opt to paint the trim - paint it lighter.

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik