Decorating & Furniture/Window Sheers

We have a large family room (20x20).  The walls are painted a soft taupe trimmed in white.  One whole wall is covered with built-ins (where our TV is along with shelves and cupboards for storage). I have berber carpet that is fairly neutral with specks of some color (greens/blues).  We just purchased a large microfiber sectional sofa that is a chocolate brown and I also purchased an area rug to place in front of it that has the browns/sage/light aqua, etc.) One side of the sectional sits in front of the window, while the other side faces the TV/built ins.  We have beautiful painted white wood trim around the windows.  I would like to just have sheers to keep the room light and airy, as we have a beautiful wooded lot at the back of our yard.  What color would you recommend?  I was I was thinking about picking up the sage or aqua in the area rug.  I also have a hand-me-down recliner that I was going to purchase a slipcover for.  I would use that to create a "reading" corner on one of my blank walls.  What color should I cover the recliner in-neutral, brown to match the sectional or sage?  thanks for your help.

I think you'll be happiest with white (or off-white) sheers for the windows.  You may be able to find some non-traditional sheers, and if so, that would be best.  Often sheered fabric is embroidered or imprinted with a tone on tone design, and those are so much classier than the standard (not that there's anything wrong with the standard.)  

As for the hand-me-down recliner, you'll find some terrific fitting slipcovers available at reasonable prices through  If you find the aqua or sage color, I'd recommend one fo those over the brown.

Add more of that color (sage or aqua) throughout the room in small ways (accessories) to totally pull it all together.

Your room sounds beautiful.  Keep up the great work!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology