Decorating & Furniture/Window treatment

Question
We have a great room with 5-30" x 57" double hung windows. We have cathedral ceilings and beams going across the rooms width. We have a fireplace in the center of the room.  Three of the windows are on one wall (separated from each other by about 2 feet) and the other two windows are on both sides of the Fireplace.The room's purpose is  a living room and dining room.  I have some lovely fabric and want to make my own curtains.  Is there rule to the type of curtains one should make for a large space such as a great room?  For example, drapes vs. curtains vs. valences only?  Also, the house is very open and airy and full of light and we want a window treatment that will support that theme. Right now we have white cellular shades on all windows which we will be keeping. We keep them up during the day to allow the wonderful light to come in.

Any advice you can offer will be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks.

Answer
Hi Sunny,
The room sounds wonderful.
I'm envisioning the room, and with the blinds already in place I don't think you need drapery panels for privacy.  If I'm wrong on that, please correct me.
That being said, you could go two routes.
The first would be drapery panels hung on each side of the 5 windows on 14" rods, so you would need 10 panels and 10 rods.  The panels would be there to soften the room, but would not have a purpose other than beauty. I hope you can visualize what it is that I'm describing.
The second option would be to either go with a valance or a cornice.
The valance has some flow to it since it's on a rod, where the cornice is fabric mounted on a board.
Both are beautiful, it just depends on your personal taste.
I hope this helps.  
Thanks for writing, Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner