Decorating & Furniture/accent walls and color

We are painting our living room and would like to do accent walls for a punch of color. Our furniture is a bluish gray color and I have tab top curtains which are striped with blue and taupe. We are looking at painting a brown color, it's called peanut butter and doing the accent walls a shade or two darker from the same color swatch. First, do you think the color will be ok and second we aren't sure which walls to do the accent color on or if we should just do one accent wall. Our living room is pretty open with two entrances one from the kitchen and one from the dining area. We have one large wall where the steps are leading to the lower level. Can you help us?

Hi Jessica,

If I were to select a wall for you to paint a different color, it would be the large wall where the steps lead to the lower level.  This makes sense in that it is "somewhat" separate from the rets of the living room walls.  

I think the color combination will be great.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology