Decorating & Furniture/How to make bathroom look "wider"?

Question
Here is my bathroom:
[URL=http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5863/bathroom236174bu8.jpg]http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5863/bathroom236174bu8.jpg[/URL]

It is very thin and long, and walking into it you get a very deep and scary feeling with only the toilet greeting you at the end. Is there anything I can do to make it appear less long and more wide? I imagined mirrors along the bottom wall, but that seems a little tacky to me.

Walls: white (I would rather not use wallpaper or paint on the walls).
Counter: light gray color.
Tub, sink, toilet: white.
Floor: tan/brown small tiles.

Any type of decor I can use to give it a more wider, more inviting feeling?

I'm open to your suggestions and appreciate your help! :)

Answer
Hi Mark,

Thanks for your question and detailed illustration!

I actually agree with your first instinct - mirror. I would definitely use mirror along the long wall. I would go with a series of small mirrors hung in a collage. I envision a series of smaller mirrors, like these, hung only a few inches apart. It would be a dramatic statement that would draw the eye away from the toilet "greeting".

Mirrors:

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/sr=1-10/qid=1209665155/ref=sr_1_10/601-8759

(sorry for the super long link)

Additionally, consider putting some artwork above the toilet - something that would draw the eye up, and be pleasant to look at.

What covers your shower? I would suggest a simple curtain. If you can, get the rod as close to the ceiling as possible (assuming 8' ceilings) - to draw the eye up. You may find you'll have to go with a regular window curtain with a vinyl liner to get the curtains to reach the floor, but that extra height will add drama. Go with a clay color (a cool taupe) if you can.

Good luck with your bathroom!!

Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES