Decorating & Furniture/How to make bathroom look "wider"?

Here is my bathroom:

It is very thin and long, and walking into it you get a very deep and scary feeling with only the toilet greeting you at the end. Is there anything I can do to make it appear less long and more wide? I imagined mirrors along the bottom wall, but that seems a little tacky to me.

Walls: white (I would rather not use wallpaper or paint on the walls).
Counter: light gray color.
Tub, sink, toilet: white.
Floor: tan/brown small tiles.

Any type of decor I can use to give it a more wider, more inviting feeling?

I'm open to your suggestions and appreciate your help! :)

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your question and detailed illustration!

I actually agree with your first instinct - mirror. I would definitely use mirror along the long wall. I would go with a series of small mirrors hung in a collage. I envision a series of smaller mirrors, like these, hung only a few inches apart. It would be a dramatic statement that would draw the eye away from the toilet "greeting".

(sorry for the super long link)

Additionally, consider putting some artwork above the toilet - something that would draw the eye up, and be pleasant to look at.

What covers your shower? I would suggest a simple curtain. If you can, get the rod as close to the ceiling as possible (assuming 8' ceilings) - to draw the eye up. You may find you'll have to go with a regular window curtain with a vinyl liner to get the curtains to reach the floor, but that extra height will add drama. Go with a clay color (a cool taupe) if you can.

Good luck with your bathroom!!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.