Decorating & Furniture/What to do with boring dining set?

I've just acquired a used dining set that isn't quite attractive. The chairs are solid wood mission style, dark brown, and recently re-upholstered but with quite a boring (and awfully colored) fabric. The legs of the table are also solid, but the top is laminate. It also has a gold strip which I intend to take off. The overall style is very basic.
I was thinking of painting or staining the set and covering the seats in new fabric. I just can't seem to think of a color scheme. I've thought about painting the chairs different colors for interest, but I wonder if this would be too visually overwhelming. I also want to add some molding to the table edge, where the gold strip was. The rest of the room is dark mahogany type wood, and the carpet and blinds are blue.
My own personal style is somewhere torn between a shabby country and French provincial style and a more modern clean aesthetic. Thanks for your help!

Hi Jessica,
Sounds like a fun project.  Regarding the chairs, I would paint all of them the same color, rather than the mix match theme.  If they were all different chairs, then the mix match would work.  Also, regarding covering the seats...Stripes are a nice pattern and usually works well with any decor.
So, I'm visualizing the chairs in a warm cream color paint and a complimentary stripe fabric with creams, blues, and even some greens in them.
The moulding on the edge of the table is a nice touch to cover what was once the gold band.
Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory