Decorating & Furniture/carpet color/wall color

Is there a decorating rule about matching wall color and carpet color?  Should (or can) the wall color be darker than the carpet color or should the carpet color be darker than the wall color or should they just be the same color pallet?  I'm wanting to put a darker on the walls (I bought one gal. to test it out)to match the color in my new furniture, but the carpet color is lighter, but of the same hue.  This would be a costly mistake if I get it wrong.  Everything is new...(not delivered yet) furniture, carpet, lamps, etc.  Your answer would be invaluable.  Immediate response needed and thank you.

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann,
Thanks for writing.
There are no decorating rules or wall color vs carpet color.
You most definitely can paint the walls a darker color then the carpet, as it would look stunning.
I'm envisioning a cream or beige color carpeting, but I'm not sure if that is what you have.  A warm carmel is always nice.
I don't know what hues you are starting with, but if you would like more guidance, I'd be happy to give it to you.
Just let me know.
Thanks, Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory