Decorating & Furniture/choosing a new roof color

Hi Jenny!  We recently had hail damage to our roof and need to replace it, offering the opportunity to update curb appeal of our home.  Our cedar-sided cape cod style home has a terracotta color brick and the siding is a honey color. The trim currently is dark brown and so are the gutters.  We would like to add some color and maybe even get away from the dark brown.  The grout color is a gray color.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Susan

Hi  Susan,

Thanks for your question.  Depending on your location, you should take weather extremes into consideration when deciding on a roof color.  Darker roof colors absorb heat while lighter colors reflect heat.  If you live in a cold climate, you may stick to a dark color for added warmth in the winters.  

My first thought about your roof color is to take a cue from the grout color -- gray.  It's a wonderful neutral, goes well with terra cotta and is certainly a paler shade than the dark brown that you've had.  The shade of gray depends again on your climate.  You could go as pale as dove gray or as dark as charcoal depending on how much heat you need to absorb or repel.  

The other thought is a shade of green, which would pair well with your exterior.  Again - shade is up to you.

Hope this gives you a starting point in selecting a color that's just right for you!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology