Decorating & Furniture/furniture placement/color

Question
I have 2 questions, really. First, our living is rather small (think townhouse)
with a bay window at the front. Our focal point, however, is the flatscreen tv
opposite the windows. We currently have a sectional sofa blocking the
beautiful window, facing the tv. We are open to buying a new sofa/chairs.
How do we deal with such a natural focal point (the window) when we use the
room to watch tv?

The second question: the living room is a beautiful, rich pumpkin/spice
orange. We'd like an accent color for the entry way but can't decide what to
use. Any ideas would be great!

Answer
Hi Julia,

First, thanks for the question. Secondly, you've clearly done your decorating homework! Two focal points can be challenging, but not impossible. Your TV would be your primary focal point, and the window - the secondary. You have essentially two choices: you can arrange the furniture perpendicular to the windows and TV or, if the view out the window isn't that fantastic, you can simply ignore it as a focal point, and arrange the furniture with regard to the TV.

With regard to the entry - a warm taupe might be nice, or a pale gold. You want the eye to be drawn into the home toward the living room - so keep it a restful color to draw the eye to the pumpkin color. I would also consider picking up the pumpkin color in a piece of artwork in the entry.

Best of luck!!

Beth  

Decorating & Furniture

ES