Decorating & Furniture/kitchen/family room

we are buying a house that the kitchen and family room is open with only a see through wall half way across the two rooms. The cabinets are oak with a green counter top. My concern is that my sofa is navy and I have in past used mauve and burgundy as accent colors. Do I go with the same color for both rooms or can I do different just the same tones and if so what color. I had thought about a gray tone but don't know whether that would work with the counter top. Or would a tan or taupe work with both rooms. I am more casual and not contemporary.

Hi Joanne,

Fortunately, all the colors you mention go very well together.  The rule of thumb to remember is that when you have open concept rooms, you should carry accent colors from one space to the next.  

In your situation, I'd carry the green from the counter top into the family room, and if you do add mauve or burgandy to the family room, carry that color into the kitchen.  You can do this with accessories and/or art.  

If you're concerned about paint, I would opt for a taupe rather than a tan.  The other color that would work well is a sage green!

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology