Decorating & Furniture/new praire style home

We just moved into a praire style home.  It has a bit of a comtemporary twist inside, but we kept everything pretty clean (taupe colored walls, wood floor/ceramic tile)in hopes that once we got in here we could get some decorating help.  We went over budget of course and now find ourselves wondering what to do.  I wanted to dark cherry cabinets (hopefully not a mistake) but are now finding that to make our home more "praire" like, we need to keep more of an oak theme.  The kitchen opens to a hearth room and the great room.  Can we mix these two wood colors? What is the easiest way to accoplish this?  My husband wants to put wood railing up on the great room walls for a more "praire or arts/craft look" and because the walls in there are tall.  Bollom line the rooms including the dining area all open to each other and we would like it to flow, not necessarily "match"  Any ideas?  thank you so much for whatever ideas you can give me.

Prairie style is more golden oak than cherry, and yes, you can successfully combine the two.  

The trick to combining wood tones is to "cross pollinate" the two.  For instance, if you add railings in oak to the great room (or shelves built-in???) then add a few accessory pieces in cherry.  That could be a small end table, a plant stand or a piece of carved art (like a wolf).  By the same token, add some accessories in golden oak to the kitchen.  This can be something as simple as a wooden salad bowl, a large wooden tray etc.  By doing so, you have made your wood choices blend and look deliberate.

I hope this helps you with your dilema.  Enjoy your new home.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology