Decorating & Furniture/orange furniture

We have lovely hardwood floors in our tv/living room. We're jsut about to get a suede orange sectional -- but I'm having serious second thoughts. My ideal color scheme would be creams and whites with espresso-colored tables etc, but that's not practical with a child and a dog. Is an orange ectional going to look too "70s" ?

Cara -

Thanks for your question. I think you should trust your gut - orange is a heck of a commitment for a piece as large as a sofa. Why not go a little more neutral with sofa - get those espresso tables and get a fabulous (washable) winter white throw for the sofa, with some textured cream and (maybe) orange throw pillows.

With three kids of my own, I completely understand how we have to compromise our dreams for practicality, but you should still shoot for things that appeal to you.

You could also get a white or cream slipcovered sofa! Pottery Barn and Room and Board have a number of options!

Good luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.