Decorating & Furniture/paint color

When I originally moved into my colonial home, my decorator told me to paint the house linen white (Benjamin Moore)and the trims and ceiling white. I have naturally stained oak wood floors.  My living room has a brown/black lacquered breakfront.  I have a glass coffee table and several dark brown side tables.  My couch and chairs are burgundy/dark green/dark goldish yellow.  I have an off white area rug and two small multi colored oriental rugs.  The room has a northern exposure so it is dark and I would like it to appear brighter.
I am thinking about painting the living room a color that is a little bit deeper than linen white. What is your opinion.  Could you suggest a color - I will be using Behr paint.  
Thank you.

ANSWER: Hi Jackie,
        I can see the reason behind the light colour your decorator recommended, but linen white could look and feel cold in a north facing room.
       I've selected three colours for you to look at in the Behr line that I think will warm and brighten your room and will be in keeping with the historic style of the house while not dating it or making it too dark.
        The colours I've chosen are wildflower honey 350B-6, warm glow 360D-4, and wild bamboo 350D-4; this is a little darker depending how far you want to go indirection. Hope this helps, and good luck :)

Thanks for your reply.  I would like your opinion on the following Behr colors:  antique white(1823), sensible hue (330e-3) or navajo white(1822).
Many thanks for all your help.

Hi Jackie,
        You're welcome :)
         Out of the three colours I really like sensible hue. It has a yellow undertone which will keep the space bright on a cloudy day. Navajo white would be my second choice.
Good luck :)

Decorating & Furniture

G. Norah Baker

My areas of expertise are color selection and accessories. But I have a general knowledge of all areas of interior decorating and would be able to answer questions in any area.

I have decorated over ten houses and apartments and have consulted on five outside projects. I have had an interest in decorating since my teens.

I graduated with highest honors (96%) from Thomson Education Direct in 2002