Decorating & Furniture/sofa color

Hi, I have a living room with hardwood floors and neutral walls. I really love
my capel oriental rug- it's just blue and cream/white( light and medium blue)
So basically a blue and white rug- I'm having trouble finding a sofa color that
I like to go with it. I was looking at a terracotta color- to go complimentary,
or perhaps celedon - seems maybe more relaxing- but boring?? what do you
think would look inviting? Know of any pictures on the web with this type of
scheme? Thanks so much.

Hello Blakeana-

Thanks for the question. That sounds like a lovely rug. Nearly anything could go with that color scheme - the important question is one you already seem to be asking yourself: What is the "feel" you want from the room? What will you be doing in there? Do you have children? Pets? As you answer these "functional" questions, you'll discover the answer to your color question.

Personally, I love that relaxing celadon idea - but, with three small children and two big dogs - that look isn't going to stay serene for long, it will very quickly turn into a dirty mess!

Terracotta sounds beautiful - so does celedon. You could also go with a shade of blue from the rug and then add gorgeous pillows in either of those colors. That would also give you the opportunity to change the look seasonally - or update it in the future.

Take a look at some magazines - I love Domino and Traditional Home - and their websites, for some great pictures.

Best of luck to you!!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.