Decorating & Furniture/Hickory Flooring

I am building a new home and the floor plan is very open. The kitchen is completely open to the family rm and my back walls are nothing but windows and we also have a tall cat. ceiling.  I am using 4" select flooring and I need help on what color to use for the sofa.  I also would like to know any good neutral paint colors that will look great with so much natural light.  My kit cab. are dark mahogany and my c.tops are dark aswell.

Hi Brandy,

You're describing a warm color palette that would work well with taupe, camel or wheat paint colors.  By the way, none of these colors are beige.  Another warm neutral that would work well is buttery yellow.

As for the sofa, my standard advice is to stay with a solid color.  Bold patterns like large flowers or plaids become tiresome and seem too busy to be soothing.  If you invest in a good quality sofa that's solid in color (or at least appears solid from a distance) you can add any stripe, floral, plaid or animal print to it to suit your particular style.  Then, when your tastes or style changes (and it does over time) you will not have to invest in a new sofa.  

The long-wearing, easy to maintain microfiber fabric is wonderful and comes in virtually every color under the rainbow.  

Hope this gives you some food for thought.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology