Decorating & Furniture/Mixing different colors of leather furniture

I have a dark brown (chestnut) colored sofa (with nail trim).  I want to get 2 recliners in leather, but not sure if mixing different leather colors will "go", what color to choose, or if I should stick to a fabric material.  Help!!

Hi Donna,
I would choose something other than chestnut. It might be nice to go with a rust or mahagony color. Go to to see how it looks next to the chestnut. I think it could also look nice if you bought the rust or mahagony pillows and put them on your chestnut sofa to tie it all together. It is really hard to say without seeing your space. You can send images to and I can give you more advice.

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book