Decorating & Furniture/Please help!

Question
We just moved into a new house with dining room and living room adjacent together (with a arched wall in between). The wall color is antique white. I have a set of very traditional mahogany dining set, with green and yellowish stripes dining chairs. I want to repaint the wall for both rooms and also select whole set of living room furniture (I have a set of dark cherry queen anne style sofa table and end tables, also a vintage gray Ethan allen wingback chair and ottoman I'd like to keep). Can you give me some suggestions on paint color and possible furnitures? I was thinking about paint Tamarind (Sherwin Williams) for both rooms but worry the color's too dark.

Thanks!

Answer
Hi Erin,

Thanks for the question! Congrats on your new home!

It's really hard to judge color without seeing them, but I'll make some suggestions!

I couldn't find Tamarind in my Sherwin Williams fan deck, so I can't say anything about that. I would recommend a nice cool neutral to complement all the warm wood - I suggest Sherwin Williams Netsuke, Wool Skein or Rice Grain.

Because I'm a bit of fabric addict, I tend to go neutral on the big pieces of furniture - like sofas, so that I can have fun with throw pillows, which can change a look in an instant. Go with a classic tuxedo style sofa, which has clean lines to set off the Queen Anne pieces. Then, have a little fun and reupholster the wingback chair in a slightly more colorful print, and use that to inspire the pillows for the sofa.

As an aside, if you're ever unsure about a color, get a quart and paint a few pieces of oak tag with it and hang them around the room. Look at them for a few days in different lighting and see if you still love it - if not you're only out the cost of the oak tag and a quart of paint!

Best of luck!'

Beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES