Decorating & Furniture/Re-Decorating a garage to be a bedroom

Hello Sandy,

I will be brief I am certain you are busy.  I am moving into a house with a special needs person as a favor to a family.  The family is converting the garage into a bedroom for me. It is 400 sq. feet.

The only natural light I will have is the 3 windows in the garage door.

Here are my questions:

What colors would be best to lighten up the room?
Any thoughts on a general carpet color?
Any lighting ideas or thoughts?  A certain lamp or light fixture to buy or where to place it?
Ever been apart of or have any advice on how to make this as nice as possible?

I am also going to use the room as an office with a large chair.

Do you have any advice on where I should place/the optimum set up would be.

Thank you very much!!!!
I appreciate your time,

Hi Chris,
I would use a very light tan color something almost beige.
The carpet color can be a berber, as that will be durable and will provide a little texture and color due to the threads running throughout.
Regarding lighting, I would use a minimum of 3 lamps.  One of those should be a floor lamp that would have the lamp shade toward the ceiling.  They call it uplighting.  This will help immensely to bounce the light off the white ceiling.
I would set up the office area at one far corner, perhaps angling your desk so that you face the room.  You can buy an inexpensive room divider or make one out of 1X2s and staple fabric to it.
Good luck with your endeavor.  Kudos to you.
Thanks for writing, I hope I have provided some help.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory