Decorating & Furniture/colours query

Black bed linen
Black bed linen  
"Hi, I wondered if you could give me some assistance in ideas for my Masterbedroom.  I recently bought black contemporary style bedlinen (attached) and wanted to give the rest of the room a contemporary look with both a rich red on the walls and also a rich brown on the walls.  Our carpet is beige.  The problem with the brown walls is that our bed is cherry. We also have a walk in wardrobe which we will be keeping quite plain which leads to the ensuite and wondered should the bedroom colours be brought through and continued to the ensuite?  Any help with our choice of colours and the correct mix would be much appreciated! ps - ceiling colour also we need advise on. Many Thanks - Sheenagh"

Hello Sheenagh -

Thanks for the question! Color selection for a room is always so much fun, and you have many options with the bedding you selected.

My first question to clients with regard to color is "What mood are you trying to evoke?" By that I mean, not the style, the feeling. Red and brown will most certainly convey a contemporary feeling, but it will not give a sense of calm in a bedroom - if that's what you're going for.

Think about that before you commit to any color on the walls.

But, I will answer your original question! : )  

I would limit the red to an accent wall - preferably the wall that the bed is on - that will emphasize your gorgeous linens. On the remaining walls, I would select a cool deep taupe - almost a cocoa color to offset the red - you could cut that color with white and put it on the ceiling as well.

Choose a less intense shade of taupe for the walk in closet/ensuite and then carry over just a hint of the red in accessories.

Hope that helps!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.