Decorating & Furniture/decorating family room

Question
Hi, Let me start by saying this is a big family room that is a step down from a large kitchen.  It has a vaulted ceiling with/skylights.  I have painted it sage green and have white moldings.  Right now all the furniture is hodge podge brown couch and love seat, cherry colored end tables. I also have no curtains just cellular shades in an off white.  The fireplace is still cherry/brown color. I plan on painting that white.  We have a new berber carpet that has a beige/sage color.  I guess my question is what color curtains, couches end tables should I be looking at? I love color, except for purple and orange!  The windows are in a series of 3 smaller windows together.  I would guess approx. 75 inches total across by about 2 feet long.  Also a color for window hardware.  The couches are ok.  But just look blah. I would like to have some color but have absolutely no idea.  I did see red curtains with/ the sage walls on a design show and it looked pretty good.
Any input would be great.
Thanks,
Tara

Answer
Hey Tara,

Thanks for the question! Sounds like you have the foundation for a great room! The key to tying it all together is color - your instincts are correct. With sage and brown upholstered pieces, you have a pretty neutral palette to start with.

I think you can liven things up with deep purple - just kidding! - with red if you like. I would prefer a deep red as opposed to a bright red. Just look for throw pillows and curtains that coordinate, but aren't matchy - matchy. Try to get a couple of different textures and something that picks up a bit of the carpet colors. I would go with chunky curtain rods in a wood tone. Look for end tables in a wood tone as well, keeping them in proportion to your sofas.

You can find great things a big retailers like Target, Marshall's and TJ Maxx, in terms of textiles.

Best of luck!

beth

Decorating & Furniture

ES