Decorating & Furniture/great room

QUESTION: My husband and I are building a home.  We have a great room with an open ceiling to the second level.  We only have one wall and along that wall we have a fireplace in the center surrounding by two built in bookcases.  I do not know where to put the tv.  Do you have any suggestions???

ANSWER: Hi Shelly,
Is there a way you can send a photo or a sketch of the room?
I'm envisioning a wall of windows somewhere in your family room, but not entirely sure.
The caution I have with the windows is the reflection into the TV screen.
By chance will the TV fit on the shelf of the bookcase?  I'm guessing it wouldn't but people don't always have the big TVs, so I thought I would ask.
Send me a follow up question so that I can help further.
Thanks for writing, Sandy

QUESTION: The outside wall goes out to the back porch.  There is one window and French Doors.  I thought about building the book case to fit the television, but not sure if the room will look off center with the tv to one side.  The problem is there is no other wall in the room.  What do you think about the tv above the fireplace?

Hi Shelly,
Thanks for the followup.  If you have a flat screen TV, then above the fireplace is fine. It's the rage in decorating right now, so that's a good thing.
I personally have seen TVs in both places, on bookshelves within the built ins and above the fireplace.
Since you are limited to options, perhaps above the fireplace is best.
Good luck with your decision, and best of all in your new home.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory