Decorating & Furniture/hard to place furniture

Julie Living Room Layout
Julie Living Room Layo  
i face several problems in my attempt to decorate our living room. the room is essentially one huge square,with the kitchen and dining take up 1/2 and the living room being the other half. In the living area, one wall is a closet door and the steps going up. One wall has the front door and a couple of windows. One wall is only the chest high bar marking the start of the kitchen. The 4th wall is long, running the depth of the house, with one window.

The second problem that I face is my husband's 51" rear projection screen tv. front to back the tv is 3 feet deep and approximately 4 x 4 on the front. Putting the tv flat on a wall looks horrible, because the front of the tv sit so far off of the wall. For now, this leaves the tv in the corner. I have put the furniture in ever place i can think of, and still cant come up with anything that satisfies me.

Please Help!!!!
Thank you so much.

Dear Julie,

Thanks for the question! I've spent quite a while thinking about this question, and see your challenge.

Those big TV's are the biggest challenge in decorating today, I think! What I like about the arrangement you have is that it creates a little foyer by backing the sofa up the front door. Have you considered a sofa table behind it to further divide the space and to define the entry further?

I might also consider placing the TV flat against the far wall and flanking it with some black bookcases, that you then accessorize nicely. I would also think about adding a second chair on the right to further balance the seating arrangement.

Another suggestion - and I'm not sure if there's room for this - is to angle the sofa across from the TV (along with the rug).

Best of luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.