Decorating & Furniture/What kind of wood floors?

We are re-doing our living room, dining room, entry way and kitchen. We are very traditional we have crystal candliers and white living room furniture. When we look at wood floors they are trying to sell us the hand scraped floors. I think they are pretty and would hold up to the grandkids better put am uncertain if they would be elegant enough to go with the crystal etc. They seem more rustic to me. What do you think?

Hi Cindy,
I think the hand scraped wood floors would be really pretty and like you say more durable. I don't think it would look too rustic and I think it will have more of an old world feel to it which would tie in nicely with your traditional style furniture. I would not put hardwood flooring down in the kitchen though because there is too much water in there and will damage the flooring more quickly. I would advise tile or some other water resilient type of flooring. Hope this helps and good luck.

Rachel Mallon, ASID
Interior Designer

Decorating & Furniture

Rachel Mallon Allied Member ASID

I will answer any questions concerning interior design and decorating. I can help with color, furniture placement, material choices, and much more. I am more than happy to help people. Please email me with questions and concerns. Decorating may not be as easy as it looks and with a little help from me you can improve your living space. Check out my decorating blog Room in a Book Blog
If you are looking to redo an entire room in your home and want professional design assistance please visit Room in a Book

Experience: I have a bachelors degree in Interior Design. I have worked for West Elm and Kitchen Kaboodle and I recently worked for an Interior Design firm in Portland, OR. I currently work as an Interior Designer in Maui, Hawaii. Room in a Book