Decorating & Furniture/knotty pine

We have a family room downstairs in out partially finished basement where we spend a great deal of time. Out projector screen TV and our gaming system is down there. Also, the kids toys are tucked into the closet in bins. The problem is that when this house was built (1975), they put knotty pine tongue and groove over the walls and then on 2 of the walls it has knotty pine cabinets stretching the whole bottom half of the walls with a countertop on top. The top half of those 2 walls has wall to wall shelving with drywall as a backdrop behind the shelving. I really hate the knotty pine. I am wondering whether I should paint it all out and if so, what color. Do I paint the cabinets and shelves the same color or another color and what color for the wall to wall counters. I am more of a modern person and would appreciate any ideas or colors that you might have.

Hi Dara,
I would definitely paint the knotty pine if you don't like it.
Keep in mind, even paint isn't going to cover the "wood look" meaning the knots.  That being said, go ahead and paint the cabinets and shelves.  I would tend to stay with the same color covering the wood.  If you wanted to paint the rest of the family room a complimentary color, that would be fine.
I don't know what colors you like or don't like, so it's difficult to suggest color.  Perhaps you have furniture that you can pull colors from in order to make the room more pleasing to you.
There is always a safe color of a light cream or white to cover the knotty pine.  This can be accented with accessories and provide a contemporary look.

Thanks for writing.

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner

I am able to answer questions regarding Interior Redesign - specializing in decorating with Flea Market finds, window treatments, paint color, and real estate staging. I am a certified redesigner and stager. Please visit I look forward to assisting you.

I have been in business 3 years as a certified redesigner, with a lifetime of experience.

Oswego Chamber of Commerce Aurora Chamber of Commerce The SDP IRIS

Certified Redesigner and Stager with The SDP Certified Redesigner with IRIS
,Interior Redesign Directory