Decorating & Furniture/living room colors

I have a light sage couch and a pale yellow sofa in my livingroom.So far my
cushions are  burnt orange/coral, beige and mushroom with a modern
pattern. I recently purchased a chocolate rug with a  beige rep[etitive pattern
because some of my furniture is mahogany. My walls are white because we
rent our space, and I have a few photos and art on the walls. There is a white
mantle with a metal/gas burning fireplace that divides the living room from
the dining room. My question is,...what colors should I stick to to enhance
the space and make it seem more cohesive ie (wall color, decor, cushions,
curtains etc). I tend to be drawn to a more modern approach, and since I have
2 little kids,..the simpler the better.....please help...:)

Hi Rosey,

Thanks for the question! It sound like you've got a lot of color swirling around that room, so it is important to get a bit of cohesiveness.

First off - I think you need the cushions to a) tie together the two sofa colors - so a print with both of those colors in there would be ideal and b) further develop the color scheme you've got going. I like the idea of spicing it up with the coral. You can even go with a violet pillow which is complementary to the other colors.

As far as the artwork goes, try to select pieces that also contain a little of your key colors - sage, yellow and coral. Keep the photos form looking busy by using frames in similar finshes - all black, for example - and hanging them in one big cluster, not scattered all over the walls.

I think the white walls are a nice modern counter point to all the color - I would look for textured white panels with a bamboo blind for privacy and a little extra texture.

Best of luck!

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.