Decorating & Furniture/paint color

Question
I have a fairly open floor plan.  My family room and kitchen blend into one another, painted with Behr's rejuvenate in the family room and above the chair rail in the kitchen.  Below, the chair rail is painted a very soft yellow, but I am rethinking that now.  Have out dated dark oak cabinets and a light tan with brown speckled Corian counter top.  How can I make this kitchen come together with out breaking the bank?
Also, color suggestions for hallway, living room and dining room which will go well with the rejuvenate, as all can be seen from some where in the house.

Answer
Hi Carole,
How about paint the lower part of the chair rail in a great tan color such as Sherwin Williams #SW6117 called Smokey Topaz.  Now I don't know the tan that is in your countertop, so the tan color will really be driven from that.
Additionally, you could paint your cabinets to match the chair rail.  Perhaps it's a warm cream color?   One other idea is to purchase new hardware for the cabinets to give them an updated look.

Regarding the hallway, living room and dining room - I'm thinking some colors such as Sherwin Williams - Decorous Amber # SW0007 and perhaps Totally Tan #6115.
Again depending on the countertop, the color Totally Tan may work better in the kitchen on the lower chair rail part, and perhaps the Smokey Topaz in the hallway or livingroom.

Thanks for writing,
Please don't hesitate to send a follow up question if you need too.
Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner