Decorating & Furniture/picture placement question

Hello.  I have recently started filling up a large wall space along my stairway with a variety of family photos, using the same frame, of varying sizes.  I got this idea from the TV show "Brothers & Sisters" and also saw it featured in a Pottery Barn catalog and love the idea.  I have a cathedral ceiling entryway which leads directly upstairs, so that there is a wall on both sides of the stairway.  We have a railing on the left and wainscotting on the right.  I decided to put the frames on the right side with the railing, and it looks great.  I'm debating whether to put more pictures on the left side also, but would that be too busy and take away from the wainscotting? I wish when we built the house, we left an open side of the stairway, so then I wouldn't have this dilemna but it's too late now.  Thank you for your help!

Hello Sarah,

Thanks for the question. Don't you love the house in Brothers and Sisters?

I think your instincts are correct, pictures on both sides would be a bit busy. The way you're doing it now sounds lovely!

You've got a great decorating sense - trust it!

Best of luck,

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.