Decorating & Furniture/tile rug

I would like to put a ceramic tile rug in my powder room which is 6 x 6. I will be using 13x13 tile in the room and would combine that tile plus a mosaic border to create the rug. Both vanity and toilet are on the same wall, opposite the door and there is a leaded glass window in the center of the wall opposite the door. There will be a small chandelier in the middle of the ceiling instead of a light fixture above the vanity. What size tile rug and where should I have it installed, in the middle of the room under the chandelier, or closer to the vanity and toilet like where a regular rug would be? Would there be a difference if I chose a medallion?   thanks

Hello Eva,

Thanks for your question. That sounds like an incredible powder room!

I have two suggestions. First, consider some lighting above the vanity in addition to the chandelier - you may end up with unflattering shadows without a light illuminating one's face. You don't need to go with a "bathroom" looking light - you could go with sconces instead. Secondly, I would consider a "whole room" rug, and simply accent the perimeter of the room with the mosaic tile in a double or triple row. That way, you a nice detail that is subtle, and doesn't compete for attention with the fabulous leaded glass window, or the chandelier.

If you add a medallion, I would center it the room.

Best of luck,

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.