Decorating & Furniture/vaulted ceiling

Hello Ms. Soggs! I appreciate your time...I just bought my first little home at the age of 51...I am so excited but need help! I have a steeple shaped vaulted ceiling with dark brown beams meeting the one long brown beam running   across the center of the steeple. My couch is a dark sage trimmed with a golden oak colored wood with pillows containing the bright hues of ambers, oranges, rusts and golds...I have a brick fireplace (blue-grey) on one wall..what color do you suggest I paint this room? I was thinking an accent color on the fireplace wall would be nice but not sure, please help me! Thank you so much!....Suzi

Dear Suzi,

Congratulations on your first home - how exciting! It sounds like your home has a ton of character!

It's hard to judge color without seeing it, but I'll take shot at your question. I love the Benjamin Moore historical colors, and, based on your description, I would suggest Castleton Mist or Beacon Hill Damask. Both are sunny, with a hint of green, to complement your sofa. I would also paint the ceiling the same color as the walls, just in flat finish paint. In certain lights, the colors will look the same, and others, just a little different. Let's draw the eye to those fantastic beams!

If you'd like to accent the fireplace wall, pull a complementary color out of your sofa pillows, though maybe a little less intense if they're very bold shades.

Best wishes,

Decorating & Furniture

I am an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist. I can answer questions about furniture selection and placement, color selection and accessory and art placement. I can also answer questions regarding textile selections and window treatments. I specialize in interior redesign - creating fresh interiors out of what you already own.

I been decorating for the past 10 years - for myself, friends and family - and recently established my own firm - Design Intervention - to begin my professional career. To learn more about me, please visit my website at I have been involved in design for a long time - most recently I designed and handcrafted my own line of accessories.

Interior Redesign Industry Specialists (IRIS), Association of Design Education (ADE)

The New Hartford Town Crier (May 2008)

I earned my certification as an Interior Redesign Industry Specialist from the School of Interior Redesign, CT.