Decorating & Furniture/wall color

Question
QUESTION: I live in a small basement suite. you walk in the door and you're facing my new kitchen (with light oak cabinets and black countertop) and to the right is my living room. now that i have a new kitchen, i want new paint on the walls. I currently have light pink carpet, and very, very light pink walls. would like to go a different color than pink on walls. Any suggestions?  and if so, can i match the wall color with same colored rug (to cover the carpet....as the room is 1 whole room...means i have carpet in my kitchen as well as living room) i would need 2 rugs about 6 x 8'. friends have suggested very, very pale green or taupe. I'm very visual, and I won't know till it's painted and one whether or not it looks good. So I really need some expert opinions.

ANSWER: I think a very pale almost sage green would be great. Your friends are right.  Taupe would be ok, but sometimes even though some taupes have a pink hue to them, it may be the wrong hue.  Just a word of caution.
I would try Sherwin Williams - White Willow for the green tone #SW6728 and Alluring White for the taupe tone #SW6343.

Also, regarding the rugs - make sure you measure before you go shopping.  You may or may not need that big of a rug.  Always best to lay paper down in the size you think you want to make sure the area you are covering is what you thought it would be.

Good luck,
Sandy

QUESTION: Thank you.  If i go with the sage green, would i paint the window trims and crawl space door trims the same color? or could I go lighter or darker? any color recommendations.

Also, thank you for the comments regarding the rug. What color would you suggest the rug be, based on my new walls and cabinets?

Answer
I would definitely paint the window trims and crawl space door trims the same color provided they aren't a beautiful wood tone.
If they are a wood tone, I would leave them as such and not cover them with paint.

Regarding the rugs, I would try to pick a rug with all three colors in it.  Black, Sage green and Pink.
The website  www.homedecorators.com is a great resource with reasonable pricing.
Thanks Sandy

Decorating & Furniture

Sandy Knutson-Grebner