Decorating & Furniture/Foyer Color

QUESTION: We are getting ready to paint our foyer and need serious color help.  There isn't a lot of natural light, the door is currently dark stained wood, and the floor is 80s slate green.  

when you walk in the front door, you want into the foyer, and the kitchen is straight ahead and is painted Ben Moore Cornsilk (soft yellow).  The living room and dining room are to the left.  Living room is Ben Moore Greenbrier beige, and dining room is a combo of greenbrier beiged and Ben Moore dill weed.  

We need a foyer color that works with those colors.  There is a stairway in the foyer, which leads upstairs to the bedrooms.  

we haven't decided whether we want to carry the foyer color up to the upstairs hall or not, but would consider foyer color on three walls and then a second color for upstairs hallway/stairway.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ANSWER: I have the perfect color to combine with your BM paints.  It's a Glidden color called Toasty Grey -- a light reflecting taupe that will coordinate beautifully.  Glidden is available through Home Depot or through a Glidden paint store.  

I'd also carry this color up the stairwell for continuity and some great color sculpting.

PS:  This color looks terrific with dark woods, blacks, greens, whites and off-whites.

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your response.  Unfortunately, we don't have a Home Depot or Glidden store very close to us.  Is there a Benjamin Moore color that is similar?

The closest color is Seaside Sand, although it's a bit darker than the Toasty Grey.  You might take a look at Gobi Desert, although that's a bit lighter than Toasty Grey.

Ask your BM Dealer if he can "match" Glidden's Toasty Grey.  Most paint companies have the other company's formulas, and they may be able to give you a very close match.

Hope this helps you.

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik

Visit my web site at: Decor: I've written about it, planned it, designed it and colored it, and I've never stopped loving it. It's not what you spend, or who made it, it's how it makes you feel.

College, advertising, public relations, marketing, free-lance writing and a plethora of creative endeavors have led me here. As an entrepreneur in decorative product design, I learned the hard way how tough it can be to be in business for yourself. A stint at a law firm taught me humility too. Some three thousand questions ago, I wondered if I could really help. Obviously, I'm still here and still taking your questions. God Bless You!

"From Day One" and "Day After Day" available nationwide via bookstores and HTTP:// (HomeStyle articles beginning in 1998) Visit me at

BA, Psychology