Decorating & Furniture/Kitchen Countertop Options

Question
On a limited budget doing minor remodeling of kitchen; reface cabinets, paint walls, remove light panels/install recessed lighting, and replace 80's opaque off white tile.  Like www.thinkglass.com 1 1/2" thick glass countertops but unable to afford it at the $230sqft purchase price plus the same or more for installation it would cost for my 40sqft countertop ($9,000).

As an alternative, have selected translucent glass tiles from Home Depot. The salesperson said it would work but advised putting something under any hot pots.  Is this a viable option?  If not, are you aware of less expensive glass countertops for the kitchen?

Answer
Thanks for your question.  Countertops can indeed be an expensive proposition.  Many wanting the look and feel of marble have used marble tile.  By the same token, people wanting granite have opted for granite tile, thus saving themselves a small fortune.  When done right, these applications work beautifully and look amazing.  

Please note, that I said when done right....meaning a professional installation.  The install is not the place to skimp if you want good results that should last a lifetime.

Glass tile will work, and as with some other surface (like marble) need to be protected from a direct heat source, i.e., a hot pan or dish.  Considering that you'll save probably half if not more, I think you can find some amazing trivets to use that will make you very happy.

Good luck on your project.  

Jenny

Decorating & Furniture

Jennifer Taylor Wojcik